Source: Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina News (Sarajevo)
After 15 years of wrangling between its ethnic components (the Bosnian Federation and the Republic of Srpska), Bosnia's Council of Ministers has finally approved a draft law on public holidays.
The draft law lists 4 public holidays; Western New Year (January 1st), May 1st, May 9th (Victory Day) and June 26th (International Day for the Victims of Violence).
Due to the low number of listed public holidays, it is likely that the January 1st and May 1st public holidays would remain 2-day public holidays, as they currently are.
Many other public holidays had been proposed, such as Islamic, Catholic, Orthodox and Jewish religious holidays, but these were rejected due to religion still being too contentious an issue in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
March 1, Bosnian Independence Day, and November 25, Bosnian Statehood Day, were rejected by the Republic of Srpska.
It is not yet clear if each region will continue to be permitted to declare its own regional public holidays (26-Nov-2008).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Bosnia and Herzegovina bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (July 2009)
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-02-25: Bosnian 2017 Public Holiday March 1st
• 2017-01-05: Bosnian Serb Republic January 6-7-9 Public Holidays
• 2017-01-02: Bosnian 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-07-16: Bosnian January 9 Public Holiday Referendum
• 2016-04-12: Bosnian Public Holidays May 1-2-3
• 2016-01-06: Bosnian Public Holiday January 9
• 2016-01-01: Bosnian 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-02-26: Bosnian Public Holiday March 2
• 2015-01-04: Bosnian 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-01-16: Bosnian Public Holidays Legislation Stalled
• 2013-11-13: Bosnian 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-11-23: Bosnian Public Holiday November 26
• 2012-11-10: Bosnian 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2008-11-26: Bosnia's Statehood Day Public Holiday's Woes Continue