Source: Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs (Kuwait)
The President of Kuwait's Civil Service Bureau, Abdulaziz Al-Zabin, has announced that Sunday, December 20, 2009, would be a day in lieu public holiday to compensate this year's New Hijri Year occurring on Friday, December 18, 2009, which is a weekend day.
This confirmation of earlier reports of a December 20 public holiday (16-Dec-2009) goes further and announces that, in addition, the Civil Service Bureau of Kuwait is preparing another circular which would declare a day in lieu public holiday on Sunday, January 3, 2010, in compensation for Gregorian New Year's Day 2010 which also falls on a Friday.
Although the circular was sent to all bodies, ministries and public government institutions, other reports in the local press (Al Anbaa) specify that this day in lieu public holiday would apply to both the private and public sectors.
In a separate announcement, the Kuwait Stock Exchange said it would close on Sunday, December 20, 2009, as a day in lieu, on the occasion of Islamic New Year.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Kuwait bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (December 2009)
Kuwait 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Kuwait 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Kuwait 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Kuwait 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Kuwait 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-06-04: Kuwaiti Mulls Western New Year Public Holiday Cancellation
• 2016-12-26: Kuwaiti New Year 2017 Public Holiday
• 2015-12-24: Kuwaiti New Year 2016 Public Holidays Extended
• 2013-12-19: Kuwaiti January 2 Public Holiday Rejected
• 2013-12-08: Kuwaiti Public Holidays January 1-2
• 2010-11-26: Kuwait Declares Additional New Year Public Holiday
• 2009-12-16: Kuwait December 20 Public Holiday