Source: La Nación (Buenos Aires)
A few hours ago, Argentina's President, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, abandoned the legislative route, and signed an executive decree making Monday, May 24, 2010, a one-off (por única vez) non-working public holiday to coincide with Argentina's bicentennial.
Executive Decree 615, gazetted in the Boletín Oficial is entitled "Establécese por única vez Feriado Nacional el día 24 de mayo de 2010 en todo el territorio de la Nación".
At the beginning of this year (25-Jan-2010), President Kirchner, had indicated that her government planned to declare Monday, May 24 as an additional bridge public holiday, since May 25 falls on a Tuesday this year.
A couple of months later (31-Mar-2010), Argentina's Executive sent a bill to Congress to declare Monday, May 24, 2010, a one-off public holiday on the occasion of Argentina's bicentennial. But this bill has since had a rough time in Congress, with the opposition threatening to vote against and delay the bill's passage into law.
With only a few weeks left before the proposed holiday, President Kirchner decided that an Executive decree was needed ("Necesariamente la gente tiene que tener programada su vida").
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Argentina bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (May 2010)
Argentina 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Argentina 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Argentina 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Argentina 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Argentina 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-10-18: Argentina's Public Holidays Law Promulgated
• 2017-09-29: Argentina's Senate Approves New Public Holidays Legislation
• 2017-09-13: Argentina Passes New Public Holidays Legislation
• 2017-09-03: Argentina Mulls June 15 Public Holiday
• 2017-02-02: Argentina Public Holidays Legislation Additional Changes Gazetted
• 2017-01-23: Argentina Public Holidays Legislation Changes Gazetted
• 2017-01-19: Argentina 2017 Public Holidays Emergency Decree
• 2016-05-19: Argentina Mulls June 17 Public Holiday
• 2015-06-05: Argentina June 29 Public Holiday Confusion
• 2014-07-06: Argentina June 29 Public Holiday Voted By House
• 2014-05-20: Argentina Mulls June 29 Public Holiday
• 2012-03-26: Argentina Bill To Cap Public Holidays
• 2012-03-16: Argentina Considers Weeklong Public Holidays
• 2011-12-01: Argentina's Congress Approves February 27 Public Holiday
• 2011-07-27: Argentina Senate Approves February 27 Public Holiday
• 2010-11-03: Argentina Decrees Public Holidays Overhaul
• 2010-05-04: Chile Opts For September 20 Bicentennial Public Holiday
• 2010-03-31: Argentina Confirms Bicentennial Public Holidays
• 2010-01-25: Argentina Conflicted About Bicentennial Public Holidays