Source: Portal del Senado de la República Dominicana (Santo Domingo)
The Senate of the Dominican Republic has passed by a unanimous vote the latest version of the amendments to the Ley número 139-97 which governs the observance of mid-week public holidays.
The "Ley No. 139-97 mediante la cual los días feriados del calendario que coincidan con los días martes y miércoles, jueves o viernes serán trasladados de fecha" currently mandates the observance of the following public holidays on their fixed date, regardless of the day of the week when they occur: January 1st, January 21, February 27, August 16 (on any inauguration year), September 24, and December 25.
The amendments, introduced earlier this year (28-Jan-2011), voted by the Dominican Republic Senate would add 2 public holidays to the above list of fixed-date public holidays: the Día de los Santos Reyes (January 6) and the Natalicio de Juan Pablo Duarte (January 26).
This would leave only the May 1, August 16 and November 6 public holidays to move when they fall on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.
Ever since its passage (19-Jun-1997), the Ley No. 139-97 is regularly attacked (18-Jun-2010, 09-Feb-2010, 22-Nov-2009, 08-Nov-2009, and 24-May-2008) by many who think that moving religious holidays is blaspheme, while the move of historical national holidays is unpatriotic.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Dominican Republic bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2011)
Dominican Republic 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Dominican Republic 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Dominican Republic 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Dominican Republic 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Dominican Republic 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-08-02: Dominican Republic Mulls Mid-Week Public Holidays Repeal
• 2013-07-27: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Final
• 2013-07-01: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Push
• 2013-06-13: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Law Amended
• 2012-11-14: Dominican Republic 2013 Duarte Public Holiday Update
• 2012-09-06: Dominican Republic Public Holidays Amendment Update
• 2012-01-26: Dominican Republic Public Holidays Amendments Lapse
• 2011-01-28: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Update
• 2010-06-18: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Update
• 2010-02-09: Dominican Republic Reconsidering Moveable Public Holidays
• 2009-11-22: Dominican Republic To Reconsider Moving Mid-Week Public Holidays
• 2009-11-08: Dominican Republic Could Reconsider Public Holidays Law
• 2008-05-24: Dominican Republic To Consider Making Labour Day Public Holiday Non-Movable
• 1997-06-19: Dominican Republic Implements Movable Public Holidays