Source: Manila Bulletin (Manila)
Philippines presidential spokesman, Edwin Lacierda, has announced that President Benigno Aquino III had tasked his legal team to study whether the upcoming Chinese New Year should be declared an official non-working public holiday.
The Philippines House Committee on the Revision of Laws has recently (03-Jan-2011) approved the floor deliberation for a consolidated version of House Bills 1072, 611 and 2715, that would make Chinese New Year a new annual public holiday in the Philippines.
Two years ago (22-Aug-2009), a bill to declare Chinese Lunar New Year as a new special non-working public holiday had passed Committee reading and was sent for plenary debate in the Philippines House of Representatives.
This follows the Philippines' House of Representatives' committee on the revision of laws approval of a bill proposed by Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez (14-May-2009).
The bill will be up for floor deliberation when sessions resume on January 17. Note that this year, Chinese New Year will fall on February 3.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Philippines bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2011)
Philippines 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Philippines 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Philippines 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-07-19: Philippines 2018 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-08-18: Philippines 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-01-31: Philippines Public Holiday February 8
• 2015-08-26: Philippines 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-07-23: Philippines 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-01-31: Philippines CNY Annual Public Holiday Bill
• 2013-09-30: Philippines 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-12-27: Philippines CNY Public Holiday Status Change
• 2012-09-01: Philippines 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-08-02: Philippines CNY Public Holiday Voted
• 2011-12-01: Philippines 2012 Public Holidays Announced
• 2011-01-19: Philippines Rules-Out 2011 CNY Public Holiday
• 2011-01-03: Philippines CNY Public Holiday Update
• 2009-08-22: Philippines Chinese New Year Public Holiday Update
• 2009-05-14: Philippines Votes Chinese New Year Public Holiday