Source: Portal del Senado de la República Dominicana (Santo Domingo)
The Dominican Republic's lower house of parliament (Cámara de Diputados) has let lapse (expire) last spring's bill to remove the January 6 and January 26 annual non-working public holidays from the scope of the law 139-97 which regulates non-working public holidays in the Dominican Republic.
The lapsed legislation had been passed unanimously by the Senate of the Dominican Republic, last spring (01-Apr-2011), but needed approval by the lower house.
These amendments, introduced at the beginning of last year (28-Jan-2011) would have added 2 public holidays to the list of fixed-date public holidays covered by the Ley número 139-97 which governs the observance of mid-week public holidays: the Día de los Santos Reyes (January 6) and the Natalicio de Juan Pablo Duarte (January 26). This would leave only the May 1, August 16 and November 6 public holidays to move when they fall on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.
Ever since its passage (19-Jun-1997), the Ley No. 139-97 is regularly attacked (18-Jun-2010, 09-Feb-2010, 22-Nov-2009, 08-Nov-2009, and 24-May-2008) by many who think that moving religious holidays is blaspheme, while the move of historical national holidays is unpatriotic.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Dominican Republic bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2012)
Dominican Republic 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Dominican Republic 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Dominican Republic 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Dominican Republic 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Dominican Republic 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-08-02: Dominican Republic Mulls Mid-Week Public Holidays Repeal
• 2013-07-27: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Final
• 2013-07-01: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Push
• 2013-06-13: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Law Amended
• 2012-11-14: Dominican Republic 2013 Duarte Public Holiday Update
• 2012-09-06: Dominican Republic Public Holidays Amendment Update
• 2011-04-01: Dominican Republic Senate Votes Public Holidays Amendments
• 2011-01-28: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Update
• 2010-06-18: Dominican Republic Mid-Week Public Holidays Update
• 2010-02-09: Dominican Republic Reconsidering Moveable Public Holidays
• 2009-11-22: Dominican Republic To Reconsider Moving Mid-Week Public Holidays
• 2009-11-08: Dominican Republic Could Reconsider Public Holidays Law
• 2008-05-24: Dominican Republic To Consider Making Labour Day Public Holiday Non-Movable
• 1997-06-19: Dominican Republic Implements Movable Public Holidays