Source: Lübecker Nachrichten (Lübeck)
The Premier (Ministerpräsident) of Germany's state of Schleswig-Holstein, Torsten Albig, has announced that Reformation Day 2017 would be a one-off non-working public holiday in the German state of Schleswig-Holstein.
The aforementioned announcement follows last month's (04-Nov-2012) call by the Synod of the Evangelical Church in Germany (Evangelische Kirche in Deutschland - EKD) to make the 2017 Reformation Day public holiday a nationwide non-working public holiday throughout Germany, as well as a similar call, 5 years ago (01-Nov-2007), by the Northern Evangelical Church for the addition of the October 31 Reformation Day to the list of public holidays of Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg before 2017.
In related news, the Mayor of Germany's second largest city, and also one of Germany's full-fledged states, Hamburg, Olaf Scholz, has also announced that October 31, 2017, would be a one-off non-working public holiday throughout Hamburg.
The Mayor of the city-state of Bremen, Jens Böhrnsen, has also called for October 31, 2017, to be marked as national public holiday, or failing that, as a state public holiday in the state of Bremen ("mindestens einmalig als staatlichen Feiertag anzuerkennen").
The date of October 31, 2017, will mark the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther posting his ninety-five theses on the door of the Castle Church of Wittenberg, an event considered to herald the beginning of the Protestant Reformation.
Calls to restore the Reformation Day public holiday, either in specific States, or as a national public holiday, have been made repeatedly in past years (27-Nov-2009, 25-Mar-2009, and 07-Nov-2006).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Germany bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (December 2012)
Germany 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Germany 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Germany 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Germany 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Germany 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-11-12: Germany Mulls November 8 Bavarian Public Holiday
• 2017-09-30: Germany Mulls Reformation Public Holiday Extension In Hamburg State
• 2017-08-05: Argentina Mulls October 31 Public Holiday
• 2017-03-27: Germany Bremen Public Holidays Extension Update
• 2017-02-18: Germany Mulls Reformation Public Holiday Bremen Extension
• 2017-01-25: Germany Mulls Schleswig-Holstein Public Holiday Extension
• 2016-09-04: Germany 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-10-08: Germany 2017 BE Reformation Public Holiday
• 2015-01-22: Germany 2017 BE Reformation Public Holiday Update
• 2014-09-16: Germany 2017 BW Reformation Public Holiday Update
• 2013-12-12: Germany 2017 Bavarian Reformation Public Holiday
• 2013-11-29: Germany Mulls New Autumn Regional Public Holiday
• 2013-08-13: Germany 2017 NRW Reformation Public Holiday Update
• 2013-06-04: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Saarland
• 2013-05-17: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Niedersachsen
• 2013-05-15: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Bremen State
• 2013-05-01: Germany 2017 HH Reformation Public Holiday
• 2013-03-14: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Rheinland-Pfalz
• 2013-03-09: Germany 2017 NRW Reformation Public Holiday
• 2013-03-08: Germany 2017 BW Reformation Public Holiday Update
• 2013-01-25: Germany 2017 BW Reformation Public Holiday
• 2013-01-10: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Hessen
• 2013-01-07: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday Update
• 2012-11-04: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday Call
• 2009-11-27: Germany To Consider Extending Reformation Day Public Holiday
• 2009-03-25: Germany To Consider Restoring October 31 Public Holiday In Capital State
• 2007-11-01: Germany: Reformation Day Public Holiday In Schleswig-Holstein
• 2006-11-07: Germany Asked To Restore Nationwide Reformation Day Public Holiday