Source: Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (Nairobi)
The head of Kenya's Public Service, Francis Kimemia, has announced that the Government of Kenya had finally declared Monday, March 4, 2013, as a one-off non-working public holiday in Kenya, on account of the upcoming Presidential and General Elections.
The aforementioned declaration of Monday, March 4, 2013, as a one-off non-working public holiday in Kenya ("It is Kenyans' democratic right to vote and that is why we have declared it a holiday to give them a chance to participate in the polls") is in line with the recently-revised (08-Jun-2012) Public Holidays Act, Section 2 (4), which declares that "the day in any year during which a general election is held following the dissolution of Parliament shall be a public holiday.".
Last year (02-Aug-2012), the Assumption of Office of The President Bill was tabled as a constitutional bill in Kenya's Parliament, confirming earlier announcements (08-Jun-2012) that an official non-working public holiday would be declared on the day the next President inauguration.
In the previous presidential election, a series of violence-related public holidays had been declared in Kenya (03-Jan-2008, 30-Dec-2007, and 20-Dec-2007).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Kenya bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (February 2013)
Kenya 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Kenya 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Kenya 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Kenya 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Kenya 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-08-01: Kenyan Public Holiday August 8
• 2013-03-30: Kenyan Inaugural Public Holiday April 9
• 2013-03-07: Kenyan Public Sector Holidays To End Tomorrow
• 2012-08-02: Kenyan Inaugural Public Holiday Bill Tabled
• 2012-06-08: Kenyan 2013 Electoral Public Holiday
• 2008-01-03: Kenya Bank Holiday Today
• 2007-12-30: Kenya December 31 Post-Election Public Holiday
• 2007-12-20: Kenya Declares December 28 National Public Holiday