Source: Presidencia de la República del Paraguay (Asunción)
The government of Paraguay has released and confirmed the list of official non-working public holidays for the calendar year 2013.
The aforementioned announcement confirms the major changes to Paraguay public holidays of last summer (03-Aug-2012), when Paraguay's president, Federico Franco, issued an executive decree agreeing to the proposal by Paraguay's Senatur, to avail himself of the powers given to the presidency a decade ago, and move some of the 2013 mid-week public holidays to a nearby Monday.
The Decreto presidencial N° 9393 finally implemented the Ley 1723 del 29 de junio de 2001 (Que Autoriza Al Poder Ejecutivo A Trasladar Los Feriados Nacionales Al Dia Lunes) which gives the president of Paraguay the authority to move any, or all, mid-week public holidays to a nearby Monday (except New Year, Independence Day, día de La Virgen de Caacupé, and Maundy Thursday and Good Friday).
Despite its passage over a decade ago (29-Jun-2001), and regular calls for the executive to avail itself of its prerogative (23-Sep-2010 and 26-Jul-2008), the provisions of law 1723/01 have rarely been used. However, last summer (24-Jul-2012), a renewed call to action by Paraguay's Secretaría Nacional de Turismo (Senatur), Liz Crámer, seems to have finally prodded the executive into action.
The Decreto presidencial N° 9393 only mentions the moving of 2 public holidays in 2013; that of March 1st (Día de los Héroes de la Patria) and that of June 12 (Día de la Paz del Chaco). The request by the Senatur also included the September 29 public holiday, added to the list of Paraguay's public holidays a year before Ley 1723 (28-Sep-2000), but as that public holiday falls on a Sunday in 2013, it would have remained unmoved anyways.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Paraguay bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2013)
Paraguay 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Paraguay 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Paraguay 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Paraguay 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Paraguay 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-08-02: Paraguay August 15 Public Holiday Re-Confirmed
• 2017-07-05: Paraguay August 15 Public Holiday Maintained
• 2017-03-24: Paraguay Senate Votes Public Holidays Legislation Amendments
• 2016-11-22: Paraguay 2017 Public Holidays Released
• 2015-12-10: Paraguay 2016 Public Holidays Released
• 2015-05-21: Paraguayan June 15 Public Holiday Ruled-Out
• 2014-08-08: Paraguay Maintains August 15 Public Holiday
• 2014-06-04: Paraguayan Public Holiday June 16
• 2014-04-29: Paraguayan May 2014 Public Holidays
• 2013-08-12: Paraguay August 14 Public Holiday Ruled-Out
• 2013-04-08: Paraguay May and June 2013 Public Holidays
• 2013-02-27: Paraguay Public Holiday March 4
• 2012-08-03: Paraguay 2013 Public Holidays Amended
• 2012-07-24: Paraguay Mid-Week Public Holidays Update
• 2010-09-23: Paraguay Legislature Wants To Move Mid-Week Public Holidays
• 2008-07-26: Paraguay Pressured To Apply 2001 Law On Mid-Week Public Holidays
• 2001-06-29: Paraguay Law To Move Mid-Week Public Holidays
• 2000-09-28: Paraguay Makes September 29 An Annual Public Holiday