Source: Philippine Information Agency (Manila)
Philippines Senator Edgardo Angara has introduced legislation (Senate Bill No. 1908) that would make the ad hoc declaration of Chinese New Year as a one-off public holiday in the Philippines, as was the case in 2012 and 2014, into an annual public holiday in the Philippines.
Interestingly, it was due to a last-minute amendment by Philippines Senator Edgardo Angara, that, 2 years ago (27-Dec-2012), the Senate of the Philippines amended the current Chinese New Year public holiday legislation to make Chinese New Year a "working holiday".
Originally, the aforementioned Senate Bill No. 3323 was meant to complement the House Bill 1072 (02-Aug-2012) and make Chinese New Year an annual non-working holiday in the Philippines, following the previous year's one-off declaration of Chinese New Year as a public holiday in the Philippines, as per Proclamation No. 295, s. 2011 (01-Dec-2011), which had followed many promises and stillborn bills over the years (19-Jan-2011, 12-Jan-2011, 03-Jan-2011, 28-Jan-2010, 22-Aug-2009, 14-May-2009, and 14-Mar-2009).
In 2013, Proclamation No. 459, s. 2012 (01-Sep-2012), listing the special and regular non-working public holidays in the Philippines for the calendar year 2013, did not include a public holiday for Chinese New Year, because, according to Philippines, deputy presidential spokesperson, Abigail Valte "There is no need to declare the Chinese New Year for 2013 a holiday or nonworking day because it will fall on a Sunday" (03-Sep-2012).
In 2014, a public holiday was declared in the Philippines pursuant to Proclamation No. 655, s. 2013 (30-Sep-2013), signed by Philippines President, Benigno Aquino III, and which lists the annual special and regular non-working public holidays in the Philippines for the calendar year 2014.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Philippines bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2014)
Philippines 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Philippines 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Philippines 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-07-19: Philippines 2018 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-08-18: Philippines 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-01-31: Philippines Public Holiday February 8
• 2015-08-26: Philippines 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-07-23: Philippines 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-09-30: Philippines 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-12-27: Philippines CNY Public Holiday Status Change
• 2012-09-03: Philippines 2013 CNY Public Holiday Clarification
• 2012-09-01: Philippines 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-08-02: Philippines CNY Public Holiday Voted
• 2011-12-01: Philippines 2012 Public Holidays Announced
• 2011-01-19: Philippines Rules-Out 2011 CNY Public Holiday
• 2011-01-12: Philippines Seriously Considering CNY Public Holiday
• 2011-01-03: Philippines CNY Public Holiday Update
• 2010-01-28: Philippines Senate Set To Vote On Chinese New Year Holiday
• 2009-08-22: Philippines Chinese New Year Public Holiday Update
• 2009-05-14: Philippines Votes Chinese New Year Public Holiday
• 2009-03-14: Philippines Considering 7 Additional Public Holidays