Source: Council of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria (Sofia)
Bulgaria's Cabinet has approved changes to Bulgaria's public holidays legislation, as recently proposed by Bulgaria's Minister of Labour, Zornitca Rusinova, to put an end to the practice of declaring one-off bridge public holidays in Bulgaria, whenever a fixed-date public holiday in Bulgaria occurred on a Tuesday or a Thursday.
Today's decision follows last month's announcement (12-Oct-2016) by Bulgaria's Minister of Labour, Zornitca Rusinova, that she would propose changes to the Bulgarian Labour Code, putting an end to the government practice of "rearranging working days" whereby the Bulgarian Council of Ministers would annually declare Monday and Friday one-off public holidays in Bulgaria, whenever an annual non-working public holiday of Bulgaria fell on a Tuesday or Friday.
The aforementioned proposed changes to Bulgaria's public holidays legislation must now be approved by parliament.
Recall that, for the past decade or so (27-Nov-2015, 05-Nov-2014, 14-Nov-2013, 15-Nov-2012, 17-Nov-2011, 16-Dec-2010, 16-Dec-2009, 10-Sep-2009 and 19-Feb-2009), when the Bulgarian Council of Ministers released its annual list of regular non-working public holidays in Bulgaria for the coming calendar year, it added additional non-working public holidays to be compensated by the declaration of the same number of working Saturdays, such as in last year's Decision on the reversal of the holidays in 2016.
As per today's statement by Bulgaria's Minister of Labour, Zornitca Rusinova, the system of declaring Monday and Friday one-off public holidays in Bulgaria, whenever an annual non-working public holiday of Bulgaria fell on a Tuesday or Friday, would be dropped, to be replaced by a system whereby whenever an annual non-working public holiday of Bulgaria fell on a Saturday or Sunday, a day in lieu non-working public holiday would be declared in Bulgaria on the next Monday ("For example, sixth May next year falls on a Saturday, the holiday will be Monday, so there will be no public holidays to be lost by people like holidays and be compensated with a merger does of others who fall on Thursday or Tuesday" and "If the official holiday falls on Tuesday, for example, vacation will only Tuesday, and if someone wants a long break, you will need to take a vacation").
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Bulgaria bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (November 2016)
Bulgaria 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Bulgaria 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Bulgaria 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Bulgaria 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Bulgaria 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-12-20: Bulgaria Public Holidays Legislation Overhaul Official
• 2016-10-12: Bulgaria Mulls 2017 Public Holidays Rules Overhaul
• 2015-11-27: Bulgarian 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-11-05: Bulgarian 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-11-14: Bulgarian 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-11-15: Bulgarian 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2011-11-17: Bulgarian 2012 Public Holidays Announced
• 2010-12-16: Bulgarian 2011 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-12-16: Bulgarian 2010 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-09-10: Bulgaria Declares September 21 Bridge Public Holiday
• 2009-02-19: Bulgaria Declares May 1-6 Public Holidays