Source: The Daily Express (Kuala Lumpur)
The Malaysian government confirmed earlier rumours and has declared Monday, October 23, 2006, a holiday for the public sector in conjunction with the twin Deepavali and Hari Raya Aidilfitri celebrations.
This year's Deepavali is scheduled for October 21 while Hari Raya Aidilfitri is expected to be celebrated on October 24 and 25.
In related news, in Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh announced that Oct 26 would be a holiday in the State in conjunction with the Hari Raya celebration. Idris declined to say whether the holiday would have to be replaced with a working day on another rest day.
A similar proposal was rejected last year (18-Oct-2005).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Malaysia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (October 2006)
Malaysia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malaysia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malaysia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2006-10-18: Malaysia's Kedah State Declares October 26 Public Holiday
• 2006-10-15: Malaysia's Private Sector Asked To Observe Additional Public Holiday
• 2006-10-11: Malaysia Bank Holiday On October 23
• 2005-10-18: Malaysia November 2 Bridge Public Holiday Update