Source: New Europe
At a recent meeting with members of the Malta Council for Economic and Social Development (MCESD), Finance Minister, Tonio Fenech, re-iterated its position that there would be no return to the policy of "Days in Lieu" (giving the next working day as a holiday whenever a public holiday falls on a week-end).
Before 2005, in Malta, a Monday public holiday was declared whenever a fixed-date public holiday fell on a weekend.
But then (03-Dec-2004 and 15-Jan-2005), the National Holidays and Other Public Holidays Act (Chapter 252 of the Laws of Malta) was amended, effective on January 1st, 2005, so that "with effect from 1st January, 2005 when a National Holiday or a Public Holiday listed in the Schedule falls on a Saturday or on a Sunday, it shall not be deemed to be a public holiday for the purposes of entitling any person to an additional day of vacation leave".
This legislation was contested repeatedly by the GWU (20-Sep-2005 and 27-Jan-2007), but to no avail (21-Oct-2007).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Malta bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (October 2007)
Malta 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malta 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malta 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Malta 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Malta 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-10-08: Malta Day In Lieu Public Holidays Progress
• 2017-05-07: Malta Day In Lieu Public Holidays In Electoral Debate
• 2016-08-29: Malta Day In Lieu Public Holidays 2017 Update
• 2015-10-15: Malta Day In Lieu Public Holidays Stalled Again
• 2013-03-10: Malta In Lieu Public Holidays Bolstered By Election Results
• 2013-02-01: Malta In Lieu Public Holidays Return Likely
• 2012-08-28: Malta Weekend Public Holidays Update
• 2010-01-07: Malta 2011 Public Holidays Announced
• 2007-12-16: Malta's MLP Would Restore Days In Lieu If Elected
• 2007-10-21: Malta Rules Out Return To Days In Lieu
• 2007-01-27: Malta Unions Ask For Return Of Day In Lieu Public Holiday
• 2005-09-20: Malta Public Holidays Amendments Challenged
• 2005-01-15: Malta Votes Public Holidays Amendment
• 2004-12-03: Malta Proceeds With Amendment to Legislation On Public Holidays