Source: Primeira Edição (Brasila)
Last night, Brazil's lower house of parliament's Comissão de Constituição e Justiça da Câmara dos Deputados approved bill nº 4437/ 2007 which would make November 20 a new nationwide public holiday in Brazil, called "Dia Nacional de Zumbi e da Consciência Negra" and sent it to the Senate for approval.
The new bill was drafted last month (21-Nov-2008) with support from Brazil's President, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva (24-Nov-2008).
This bill replaces the now-defunct earlier Projeto de Lei N.º 4.437, de 2004 and would amend Article 1 of the law No 662 of April 6, 1949, which explicitly lists Brazil's official nationwide public holidays.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Brazil bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (December 2008)
Brazil 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Brazil 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Brazil 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Brazil 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Brazil 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-12-12: Brazil Black Consciousness Day Public Holiday Update
• 2015-07-06: Brazil Zumbi Public Holiday Update
• 2011-11-12: Brazil November 20 Holiday Officialized
• 2011-10-21: Brazilian Senate Approves November 20 Public Holiday
• 2011-03-24: Brazilian November 20 Public Holiday Update
• 2010-09-14: Brazilian Bill To Declare November 20 Public Holiday
• 2009-11-22: Brazilian President Promises November 20 Public Holiday In 2010
• 2009-01-28: Brazil's November 20 State Public Holiday Also Declared Void
• 2008-11-24: Brazil's President Favors November 20 Public Holiday
• 2008-11-21: Brazil Considering Making November 20 A Full National Public Holiday