Source: School of Journalism at the University of Canberra (ACT)
This year, the Australian "state" of ACT will have had 11 public holidays, one more than any other jurisdiction in Australia, and three more than the neighboring State of NSW, re-igniting the debate as to whether to keep the recently added Family and Community Day public holiday and if so, whether to move its observance.
This public holiday, which coincides with Victoria State's Melbourne Cup Day public holiday, was introduced to the ACT in late 2007, effective beginning in 2008 (05-Apr-2007, 30-Jul-2007 and 05-Nov-2007). Its long-term future, however has always been uncertain (03-Nov-2008), though its occurrence and date for 2009 has been confirmed by the ACT government (23-Apr-2009).
Some of the proposals range from its outright cancellation (ACT Chamber of Commerce and Industry) to the Unions ACT call for a restoration of the Union Picnic days system (05-Apr-2007), with some calling for a move to a Monday or Friday date, such as the Canberra Business Council or its move to coincide with the Monday after the Floriade festival begins (ACT's Minister for Industrial Relations, John Hargreaves).
ACT's Chief Minister, Jon Stanhope, says that in all cases, the public holiday should remain, but that its date will be reconsidered.
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (July 2009)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2010-04-25: Australia Considering Additional NSW Public Holiday
• 2009-04-23: Australia To Review ACT's Family And Community Public Holiday
• 2008-11-03: Australia's ACT Reconsidering Melbourne Cup Public Holiday For 2009
• 2007-11-05: Status Report On Australia's Melbourne Cup Public Holiday
• 2007-07-30: Australia's ACT Ready To Declare New November Public Holiday
• 2007-04-05: Australia's ACT Confirms New November Public Holiday