Source: Australia Broadcasting Corporation (Canberra)
The Government of Australia's ACT (Australian Capital Territory) is inviting its residents to have their say on the future of the, early November, Family and Community Day public holiday.
This public holiday, which coincides with Victoria State's Melbourne Cup Day public holiday, was introduced to the Australian Capital Territory in late 2007 (30-Jul-2007 and 05-Nov-2007). Its long-term future, however has always been uncertain (03-Nov-2008).
ACT's Minister for Industrial Relations, John Hargreaves, said that one of the options being considered as a replacement for the Family and Community Day public holiday is the Monday after the Floriade festival begins, but that in any case, for 2009, the holiday would be held on Melbourne Cup day in November.
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2009)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2009-08-31: Australia's ACT Moves November Public Holiday
• 2009-07-08: Australia ACT Family Day Public Holiday Update
• 2008-11-03: Australia's ACT Reconsidering Melbourne Cup Public Holiday For 2009
• 2007-11-05: Status Report On Australia's Melbourne Cup Public Holiday
• 2007-07-30: Australia's ACT Ready To Declare New November Public Holiday