Source: ABC (Canberra)
The government of Australia's Australia Capital Territory (ACT) has finally decided on the future of the November, Family and Community Day public holiday, moving its date to the first week of the September/October school holidays.
The ACT's Holidays Act 1958 will be amended accordingly.
The Family and Community Day public holiday was introduced to the ACT in late 2007, effective beginning in 2008 (05-Apr-2007, 30-Jul-2007 and 05-Nov-2007) and, until 2010, will have coincided with Victoria State's Melbourne Cup Day public holiday. The current announcement did confirm its occurrence and date for 2009, as had been done by the ACT's Minister for Industrial Relations, John Hargreaves, last spring (23-Apr-2009).
The long-term future of this public holiday had always been uncertain (03-Nov-2008), having officially been marked as "to be reviewed next year" from its inception (30-Jul-2007).
Over the last 2 years, some of the proposals ranged from its outright cancellation (ACT Chamber of Commerce and Industry) to the Unions ACT call for a restoration of the Union Picnic days system (05-Apr-2007), with some calling for a move to a Monday or Friday date, such as the Canberra Business Council or its move to coincide with the Monday after the Floriade festival begins (ACT's Minister for Industrial Relations, John Hargreaves).
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2009)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2009-10-16: Australia Tables ACT Public Holiday Change Bill
• 2009-04-23: Australia To Review ACT's Family And Community Public Holiday
• 2008-11-03: Australia's ACT Reconsidering Melbourne Cup Public Holiday For 2009
• 2007-11-05: Status Report On Australia's Melbourne Cup Public Holiday
• 2007-07-30: Australia's ACT Ready To Declare New November Public Holiday
• 2007-04-05: Australia's ACT Confirms New November Public Holiday