Source: Bhutan Ministry of Health (Thimphu)
Bhutan's Minister of Health, Lyonpo Zangley Dukpa, has called for a return to an annual public holiday on the Buddhist festival of Nyenpa Guzon.
The Nyenpa Guzon holiday (aka. Ngyenpa Guzom, or Meeting of the Nine Evils), was a public holiday in Bhutan for many years, but it was removed from the official list of public holidays two years ago (03-Jan-2007).
Earlier this year (19-Jan-2009), it was announced that the other public holiday canceled at the same time, the Thrue Bab (or Blessed Rainy Day), would be restored, effective this year.
However, the official government website page of public holidays has not, as of yet, been updated to reflect such a restoration of the Blessed Rainy Day public holiday. This, however, is not proof that the public holiday will not be restored, as the recent announcement of a change to the Coronation Anniversary public holiday (20-Jul-2009) has also not been posted on the government website.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Bhutan bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (July 2009)
Bhutan 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Bhutan 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Bhutan 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Bhutan 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Bhutan 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-09-21: Bhutanese 2017 Thrue Bab Public Holiday
• 2012-01-04: Bhutanese 2012 Public Holidays Announced
• 2010-11-05: Bhutanese 2011 Public Holidays Announced
• 2010-01-13: Bhutanese 2010 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-09-16: Bhutan Restores Thrue Bab Public Holiday
• 2009-07-20: Bhutan Changes Coronation Anniversary Public Holiday Date
• 2009-01-19: Bhutan To Restore Blessed Rainy Day Public Holiday
• 2007-01-03: Bhutan Revises Public Holidays List