Source: Kuensel Newspaper (Thimphu)
Bhutan's Home Minister, Lyonpo Minjur Dorji, has announced that Bhutan's Cabinet had approved the home ministry's recommendation to reinstate the Thrue Bab (Blessed Rainy Day) national public holiday.
Earlier this year (19-Jan-2009), the Speaker of Bhutan's newly-elected assembly had directed the minister to restore either the Thrue bab (Blessed Rainy Day) public holiday or the Nyen pa guzom (Meeting of Nine Evils) national public holiday. Both of these public holidays were canceled in early two years ago (03-Jan-2007).
Thus, Tuesday, September 22, 2009, will be an official public holiday in Bhutan, even though it does not appear on any official calendars. Note that the official calendars currently also incorrectly list November 6 as the Coronation Day public holiday, despite an official announcement, earlier this year (20-Jul-2009), setting its date for November 1 and 2.
Home Minister Lyonpo Minjur Dorji did point out, however, that the Nyen pa guzom (Meeting of Nine Evils) national holiday would not be restored as a public holiday, despite recent calls to that effect from some ministers (29-Jul-2009).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Bhutan bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2009)
Bhutan 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Bhutan 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Bhutan 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Bhutan 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Bhutan 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-11-05: Bhutanese 2018-2019 Public Holidays Announced
• 2017-09-21: Bhutanese 2017 Thrue Bab Public Holiday
• 2016-10-28: Bhutanese 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-09-21: Bhutanese Public Holiday September 23
• 2015-10-01: Bhutanese 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-10-24: Bhutanese 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-11-15: Bhutanese 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-09-16: Bhutanese Public Holiday September 21
• 2012-10-12: Bhutanese 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-01-04: Bhutanese 2012 Public Holidays Announced
• 2010-11-05: Bhutanese 2011 Public Holidays Announced
• 2010-01-13: Bhutanese 2010 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-07-29: Bhutan Minister Calls For Nyenpa Guzon Public Holiday
• 2009-07-20: Bhutan Changes Coronation Anniversary Public Holiday Date
• 2009-01-19: Bhutan To Restore Blessed Rainy Day Public Holiday
• 2007-01-03: Bhutan Revises Public Holidays List