Source: Kazinform (Astana)
Earlier today, Kazakhstan's Parliament (the Majilis) approved the draft law "On The Introduction Of Amendments To The Law On Holidays Of The Republic Of Kazakhstan". The main feature of these amendments is the extension of the Nauryz Meiramy (Persian New Year) public holiday from its current 1 day (March 22) to 3 days (March 21-23).
This extension of the Persian New Year public holidays was suggested to the Majilis by the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev, last month (11-Feb-2009), and follows a trend in Central Asia where other countries have also extended the duration of the Novruz public holidays over the years (see, for example, 08-May-2002 and 30-Dec-2005).
The August 30 Constitution Day public holiday is to become the National Day, while the October 25 Republic Day public holiday is to be abolished altogether.
Although the amendments did not explicitly address the issue, based on the 2001 amendments to the law on public holidays in Kazakhstan (14-Dec-2001), we would expect that additional days will be given, whenever the new 3-day Novruz public holidays overlap a weekend, with the net effect that some years (such as 2009 when both the 21st and 22nd of March will fall on a weekend), the Novruz public holidays could last up to 5 days.
Previous substantial amendments to the law on public holidays in Kazakhstan were passed in 2008 (23-Jun-2008), 2005 (28-Dec-2005) and 2001 (14-Dec-2001).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Kazakhstan bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (March 2009)
Kazakhstan 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Kazakhstan 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Kazakhstan 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Kazakhstan 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Kazakhstan 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-02-17: Kazakhstan March 2017 Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-03-03: Kazakhstan 2016 Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-01-13: Kazakhstan 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-01-17: Kazakhstan 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-12-26: Kazakhstan 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-02-18: Kazakhstan 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-02-17: Kazakhstan 2012 Public Holidays Announced
• 2011-01-14: Kazakhstan 2011 Public Holidays Announced
• 2010-03-05: Kazakhstan Adds Day To Novruz Public Holidays
• 2009-10-21: Kazakhstan Confirms October 25 Public Holiday Cancellation
• 2009-04-25: Kazakhstan's President Signs Public Holidays Law Amendment
• 2009-03-05: Iraq Declares March Regional Public Holidays In Kurdistan
• 2009-02-11: Kazakhstan Could Extend Nauryz Public Holidays
• 2008-06-23: Kazakhstan Senate Votes July 6 Public Holiday
• 2005-12-30: Tajikistan Extends Navruz Public Holidays Again
• 2005-12-28: Kazakhstan Adds New Orthodox And Muslim Public Holidays
• 2002-05-08: Tajikistan Extends Navruz Public Holidays
• 2001-12-14: Kazakhstan Gazettes Amended Public Holidays Legislation