Source: Bernama News Agency (Penang)
Earlier today, Penang State Chief Minister, Lim Guan Eng, confirmed that, beginning in 2010, July 7th would become a state public holiday to celebrate Penang's status as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Penang Chief Minister, Lim Guan Eng, had originally announced that the state government was considering such a proposal, last month (08-Jun-2009).
At the time we had reacted cautiously, as this is not the only promise of a new state public holidays pending; last year the State of Penang had announced that it would celebrate the September 16, Malaysia Day public holiday, beginning in 2009 (01-Sep-2008).
The Central Asian Republic of Kyrgyzstan recently announced that it was considering a similar declaration of a new annual public holiday in June, to commemorate the day when the holy Sulaiman-Too Mountain was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List (01-Jul-2009).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Malaysia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (July 2009)
Malaysia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malaysia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malaysia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-06-15: Malaysian State Public Holiday July 8
• 2010-06-17: Malaysia Confirms July 7 Public Holiday
• 2009-10-17: Azerbaijan's Novruz Public Holiday Enshrined By UNESCO
• 2009-09-11: Malaysia 2010 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-07-08: Malaysia's Malacca State Rejects July 7 Public Holiday
• 2009-07-01: Kyrgyzstan Could Add June 30 Public Holiday Next Year
• 2009-06-08: Malaysia Considering July 7 Penang Public Holiday
• 2008-09-01: Malaysia Ready To Declare September 16 Public Holiday In As Many As 5 States