Source: Newsbreak (Manila)
Consolidated House Bill 5408, was passed on third reading by the Philippines House of Representatives on December 10, 2008, and would move the observance of the Rizal Day public holiday from December 30 (the date of Rizal's execution) to June 19 (Rizal's birthday).
Having been approved by the lower house, the bill now needs Senate approval, and then President Arroyo's signing. for it to take effect in 2009.
Moving the celebration date of the Rizal Day public holiday would be reminiscent of the change to the commemoration of Independence Day from July 4 (recognition of the Philippines independence by the USA) to June 12 (Philippines' independence from Spain).
Note, however, that contrary to Independence Day, whose public holiday moves according to the weekday on which it falls (25-Jul-2007) it seems more than likely that the Senate will amend the bill to make the moved Rizal Day public holiday always occur on June 19, regardless of the weekday on which that date occurs.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Philippines bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2009)
Philippines 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Philippines 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Philippines 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2011-04-29: Philippines Declare June 20 Public Holiday
• 2009-06-20: Philippines Law To Move Rizal Day Public Holiday To June
• 2009-06-10: Philippines Rizal Province Public Holiday Tomorrow
• 2009-03-14: Philippines Considering 7 Additional Public Holidays
• 2007-07-25: Philippines Public Holidays Undergo Major Changes