Source: El Tiempo (Tegucigalpa)
Honduras' legislative assembly (Cámara Legislativa) is considering a bill that would move many of Honduras' official public holidays to always occur on a Monday, starting on July 1st, 2010.
Some of the highlights of the bill proposed by deputy José Azcona Bocock:
• Moving the birthday of General Francisco Morazán from October 3 to the first Monday in October.
• Moving the, October 12, Americas' Day public holiday to the second Monday in October.
• Moving the, October 21, Armed Forces' Day public holiday to the fourth Monday in October.
• In addition, the bill would move the April 14, fundación de la Unión Panamericana, public holiday to always occur on Holy Wednesday.
These 4 aforementioned public holidays share a troubled history.
All 4 were canceled from 1999 (21-Dec-1998) and restored in 2002 (05-Dec-2001).
The year after (09-Apr-2003), Honduras' President, Ricardo Maduro, signed into law Decreto 50-2003 which moves fixed date public holidays that fall mid-week to the following Monday (with some exceptions in the list of public holidays, and for 2003).
Two years later (24-Feb-2005), President Maduro, issued a decree moving, for 2005, the observance of the April 14, October 12 and October 21 public holidays to the first 3 days of the Semana Santa (the week before Easter).
Since then, these 4 public holidays have been the subject of yearly tergiversations (13-Oct-2009, 14-Apr-2009, 25-Oct-2008, 16-Sep-2008, 03-Oct-2007, and 01-Apr-2006, and many more), with the concept of public servants recuperating the holy week public holidays being dropped in favor of a quasi-automatic declaration of holy week as a public sector holiday (10-Mar-2010, 03-Apr-2009, 15-Mar-2008 and 28-Mar-2007).
• Honduras bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2010)
Honduras 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Honduras 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Honduras 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Honduras 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Honduras 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2010-05-13: Honduras Could Move October Public Holidays To June
• 2010-03-10: Honduras Declares Holy Week Public Sector Holidays
• 2009-10-13: Honduras Moves Army Day Public Holiday
• 2009-04-14: Honduras Surprised By Public Holiday Move
• 2009-04-03: Honduras Declares Early Start For Easter Week Public Holidays
• 2008-10-25: Honduras Moves Army Day Public Holiday For Civil Servants To November 10
• 2008-09-16: Honduras Moves Two Upcoming Public Holidays To Following Monday
• 2008-03-15: Honduras Declares March 17-19 Public Sector Holidays
• 2007-10-03: Honduras Changes Dates Of October Public Holidays
• 2007-03-28: Honduras Easter Week Public Sector Holidays Update
• 2006-04-01: Honduras Changes October Public Holidays Rules
• 2005-02-24: Honduras Exchanges October And Easter Public Holidays
• 2003-04-09: Honduras Amends Public Holidays Legislation
• 2001-12-05: Honduras Restores 3 Public Holidays
• 1998-12-21: Honduras Cancels 4 Public Holidays