Source: Philippines Information Services (PIA)
In an, as of yet unnumbered, proclamation, Philippines President, Benigno Aquino III, has announced that the upcoming public holiday marking the death anniversary of Benigno Aquino Jr would be on Saturday, August 21, 2010, rather than the previously announced date of Monday, August 23, 2010.
As such, Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda announced that Monday, August 23, 2010, will be a regular working day in the Philippines, while Saturday, August 21, 2010, will be a non-working public holiday.
The aforementioned decision had been rumoured to be in the works ever since Benigno Aquino III was elected President (14-Jun-2010, 12-Jul-2010 and 06-Aug-2010).
A day in lieu public holiday, on Monday, August 23, 2010, had been declared last summer by Philippines President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (PGMA) in Proclamation 1841 (22-Jul-2009), in accordance with the 2007, Republic Act 9492, "An Act Rationalizing the Celebration of National Holidays" (25-Jul-2007 and 09-Aug-2007) which moves most of the non-religious public holidays to the adjacent Monday.
Despite today's announcement, spokesperson Lacierda said there were no suggestions during the Tuesday cabinet meeting that led to today's decision, to repeal Arroyo's holiday economics edict.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Philippines bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2010)
Philippines 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Philippines 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Philippines 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2011-11-18: Philippines Bonifacio Day Public Holiday Change Ruled-Out
• 2011-06-05: Philippines Rule-Out June 13 Public Holiday
• 2011-04-06: Philippines Rule-Out April 9 Public Holiday Move
• 2011-04-04: Philippines Vote Arbor Day Public Holiday
• 2010-12-20: Philippines 2011 Public Holidays Announced
• 2010-12-12: Philippines Confirm 2 Year-End Public Holidays
• 2010-11-29: Philippines To Announce Public Holidays By Mid-December
• 2010-11-11: Philippines Declares November 29 Public Holiday
• 2010-09-03: Philippines Finally Declare September 10 Eid Public Holiday
• 2010-08-13: Philippines Declare August 30 A Public Holiday
• 2010-08-12: Philippines Could Cancel August 30 Public Holiday
• 2010-08-06: Philippines Could Cancel August 23 Public Holiday
• 2010-07-12: Philippines To Review Public Holidays Economics
• 2010-06-14: Philippines President-Elect Could Change June 12 Public Holiday
• 2009-07-22: Philippines 2010 Public Holidays Declared
• 2007-08-09: Philippines Tinkers With Recent Public Holidays Rationalization Law
• 2007-07-25: Philippines Public Holidays Undergo Major Changes