Source: The New Straits Times Press (Kuching)
The government of Malaysia's State of Sarawak has announced that the official date of the 90th birthday celebration of Sarawak's ruler, Yang Dipertua Negeri Tun Abang Muhammad Salahuddin Abang Barieng, and it associated state public holiday, would be moved from September 10, to September 24, 2011.
As per the statement issued today by the Sarawak Information Department and read by Sarawak State Secretary, Datuk Amar Mohd Morshidi Abdul Ghani, "As such, the public holiday on Sept 10 as shown in the state government almanac is cancelled".
The postponement of the state public holidays due to conflicts with religious holidays, or the entire month of Ramadan, is a common occurrence in Malaysia (05-Dec-2002, 22-May-2007, 04-Sep-2008, 03-Oct-2008, 14-Jan-2009, and 23-Apr-2009).
In Sarawak, 2 years ago (04-Sep-2009), at the last minute, the State government postponed the Yang Dipertua of Negeri Sarawak Tun Abang Muhammad Salahuddin Abang Barieng's 88th birthday celebration, and its associated state public holiday, from September 12, to October 24, 2009, out of respect for the month of Ramadan.
For 2010, the postponement was repeated, but announced well in advance, at the time when the official list of public holidays in Malaysia was officially announced (11-Sep-2009).
However, when Malaysia's Cabinet, Constitution and Government Relations Department of the Prime Minister's Office released the official Federal Public Holidays Schedule 2011 and State Public Holiday Schedule 2011, the date for the official birthday celebration of Yang Dipertua Negeri Tun Abang Muhammad Salahuddin Abang Barieng was gazetted in its usual place (20-Jul-2010), which did not surprise anyone since the 2011 month of Ramadan would have ended way before the gazetted date of Saturday, September 10, 2011. The official statement by the Sarawak Information Department and Sarawak's State Secretary does not give any hints as to the reason for this year's last-minute postponement.
• Malaysia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2011)
Malaysia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malaysia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malaysia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2010-07-20: Malaysia 2011 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-09-11: Malaysia 2010 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-09-04: Malaysia Postpones September 12 State Public Holiday
• 2009-04-23: Malaysia Announces Negeri Sembilan State Public Holiday Date
• 2009-01-14: Malaysia Changes Date Of Negeri Sembilan State Public Holiday
• 2008-10-03: Malaysia's Sabah State Announces Date Of Postponed Malaysia Day Public Holiday
• 2008-09-04: Malaysia's Sabah State Postpones Head of State's Birthday Celebration
• 2007-05-22: Malaysia's Sarawak State Declares Public Holiday on June 4
• 2002-12-05: Malaysia Declares December 16 Public Holiday In Selangor