Source: Ghana News Agency (Accra)
Ghana's President Mahama has asked the Minister of the Interior to introduce a bill into Parliament which would convert the current Executive Instrument (executive decree) declaring September 21st as an annual non-working public in Ghana, into legislation to add it to Ghana's list of statutory public holidays.
Shortly before the 100th birthday of the first President of Ghana, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah (03-Sep-2009), Ghana's President, John Evans Atta Mills, issued an Executive Instrument declaring Monday, September 21st, 2009, an official public holiday, as he had promised shortly after being elected (20-Feb-2009).
The use of an Executive Instrument was repeated for the 3 following years (19-Sep-2012, 19-Sep-2011 and 20-Sep-2010), despite the initial statement by then Director of Communication Anyidoho that, although that year's September 21 public holiday would be declared through a one-off Presidential Executive Instrument, the government would immediately afterwards present to parliament a bill that would make the celebration of 21st September an annual public holiday.
To quote President John Dramani Mahama, "If the proposal is passed by Parliament, government will no longer use an Executive Instrument to render the day as a holiday, and I want to believe that the next September 21, will be placed on the national calendar".
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Ghana bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2012)
Ghana 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Ghana 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Ghana 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Ghana 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Ghana 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-09-18: Ghana To Change September 21 Public Holiday
• 2013-02-20: Ghana September 21 Public Holiday Finally Tabled
• 2012-09-19: Ghana Public Holiday September 21
• 2011-09-19: Ghana Public Holiday On September 21
• 2010-09-20: Ghana Declares September 21 Public Holiday
• 2009-09-03: Ghana's President Confirms September 21 Public Holiday
• 2009-02-20: Ghana To Add Founders' Day To List Of Public Holidays