Source: The Jakarta Post (ANTARA)
Indonesia's Manpower and Transmigration Minister, Muhaimin Iskandar, confirmed that he had asked the President of Indonesia to declare May 1st as a new annual national holiday in Indonesia.
Recall that, late last month (30-Apr-2012), Indonesia's Home Minister, Gamawan Fauzi, had announced that the Indonesian government was deliberating whether to add May 1st as a new annual non-working public holiday (Hari Libur Nasional) in Indonesia.
The annual non-working public holidays and joint days of leave (Hari Libur Nasional dan Cuti Bersama) for the upcoming calendar year are usually announced in the early summer (14-Jul-2011, 15-Jun-2010, 09-Aug-2009, 10-Jun-2008, and 31-May-2007), by the very same Minister of Manpower and Transmigration of today's announcement.
The idea of adding May 1st to the list of Indonesian non-working public holidays had already been discussed a few years ago (30-Apr-2009), but that nothing came of it back then.
• Indonesia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (May 2012)
Indonesia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Indonesia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Indonesia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-05-31: Indonesia Adds June 1st Public Holiday
• 2016-05-26: Indonesia Mulls June 1st Public Holiday
• 2013-08-14: Indonesian May 1st Public Holiday Confirmed
• 2013-05-01: Indonesian May 1st Public Holiday Announced
• 2012-04-30: Indonesia Considers May 1st Public Holiday
• 2011-07-14: Indonesia 2012 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2010-06-15: Indonesia 2011 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2009-08-09: Indonesia 2010 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2009-04-30: Indonesia May Day Public Holiday Update
• 2008-06-10: Indonesia 2009 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2007-05-31: Indonesia 2008 Public Holidays Gazetted