Source: Government of Sint Maarten (Great Bay)
Sint Maarten's Parliamentary Central Committee has approved a draft ordinance recently presented by Education and Culture Minister, Rhoda Arrindell, and which would finally make July 1st a new annual national non-working public holiday, beginning in 2012.
The aforementioned draft law was introduced, earlier this year (19-Mar-2012), following a tripartite meeting with the Sint Maarten Minister of Labour, and the Windward Island Chamber of Labour Unions.
An earlier draft law to make Emancipation Day, on July 1, into a new annual public holiday in Sint Maarten narrowly missed being taking effect last year (18-Jun-2011 and 03-Jun-2011) although the Sint Maarten Council of Ministers eventually decided to declare a one-off public sector holiday and give all government workers the day off on Friday, July 1, 2011, on account of that year's Emancipation Day (29-Jun-2011).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Sint Maarten bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (May 2012)
Sint Maarten 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Sint Maarten 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Sint Maarten 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Sint Maarten 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Sint Maarten 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2012-06-29: Sint Maarten Public Holiday July 2
• 2012-06-06: Sint Maarten July 1 Public Holiday Officialized
• 2012-06-01: Sint Maarten July 1 Public Holiday Announced
• 2012-03-19: Sint Maarten July 1st New Public Holiday On Track
• 2011-06-29: Sint Maarten Declares July 1st Public Sector Holiday
• 2011-06-18: Sint Maarten July 1st Public Holiday Update
• 2011-06-03: Sint Maarten July 1st Public Holiday Likely This Year