Source: Bernama News Agency (Alor Setar)
The State Religion, Indian and Siamese Community Affairs, Human Resources and Tourism Committee chairman of Malaysia's State of Kedah, Mohd Rawi Abd Hamid, has announced that, as promised, the declaration of a new state non-working public holiday for Thaipusam is to be discussed at the weekly meeting of the state executive council on Wednesday, July 17, 2013.
Two years ago (20-Jan-2011), Malaysia's Prime Minister, Najib Tun Razak, had announced that he would ensure that Thaipusam became a public holiday in Kedah State, if his Barisan Nasional (BN) party were to win the upcoming state elections.
A few years ago (20-Jan-2008), Malaysia's Government declared Thaipusam as a new annual state public holiday in the federal territories of Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya, from 2008 onward.
Currently only the states and federal territories of Kuala Lumpur, Johor, Negeri Sembilan, Perak, Penang and Selangor observe a public holiday for Thaipusam.
• Malaysia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (July 2013)
Malaysia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malaysia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malaysia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2018-05-07: Malaysia Kedah Thaipusam Public Holiday Update
• 2016-01-06: Malaysian 2016 Thaipusam Public Holiday Extended
• 2015-01-14: Malaysia 2015 Thaipusam Public Holiday Extended
• 2014-01-13: Malaysia 2014 Thaipusam Public Holiday Extended
• 2011-01-20: Malaysia Could Extend Thaipusam Public Holiday
• 2008-01-20: Malaysia Adds Thaipusam To State Public Holidays Of Kuala Lumpur And Putrajaya