Source: Governo de Portugal (Lisboa)
More than a year after the Portuguese Government's cancellation of 4 annual non-working public holidays took effect, Portugal's constitutional court (Tribunal Constitucional) has ruled that the reduction of 4 annual non-working public holidays in Portugal was constitutional.
The constitutional challenge to Portugal's cancellation of 4 annual non-working public holidays was brought by the Communist party and other extreme left parties.
In a lengthy ruling on all aspects of the austerity package, of which the cancellation of 4 public holidays was only part, the Tribunal Constitucional ruled that Article 2 of the "Lei n.º 23/2012, de 25 de junho" (deixou de considerar como feriados obrigatórios os dias de Corpo de Deus, 5 de outubro, 1 de novembro e 1 de dezembro) was part of the "Normas declaradas constitucionais".
Last year's (01-Aug-2012) implementation of the cancellation of 4 annual non-working public holidays in Portugal followed much hesitation and debate (15-Oct-2011, 03-Jul-2011, 01-Dec-2011, 18-Jan-2012, 12-Mar-2012 and 14-Nov-2011), finally leading to a quadripartite agreement (09-May-2012) to cancel the annual Portuguese non-working public holidays of Corpo de Deus (Corpus Cristi), Implantação da República (October 5), Todos os Santos (November 1), and Restauração da independência (December 1st).
These 4 annual non-working public holidays are canceled for 5 years (2013-2017). At the end of that period the issue will be revisited ("A suspensão de quatro feriados, concretizada esta terça-feira, com o anúncio do acordo entre o Governo português e a Santa Sé, será reavaliada ao fim de cinco anos").
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Portugal bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2013)
Portugal 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Portugal 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Portugal 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Portugal 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Portugal 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-03-19: Portugal Public Holidays Officially Restored
• 2016-01-08: Portugal Restores 4 Public Holidays
• 2016-01-03: Portugal Public Holidays Restoration Update
• 2015-12-19: Portugal Public Holidays Restoration Vote January 8
• 2015-11-11: Portugal Could Restore 4 Public Holidays Before 2018
• 2015-10-12: Portugal December 1 Public Holiday Petition
• 2013-12-04: Portugal Bill To Restore Public Holidays
• 2012-08-01: Portugal Public Holidays Changes Take Effect
• 2012-05-09: Portugal Public Holidays Reduction Finalized
• 2012-03-12: Portugal Religious Public Holidays Update
• 2012-01-18: Portugal Public Holidays Cancellation Update
• 2011-12-01: Portugal Public Holidays Revision Update 2
• 2011-11-14: Portugal Public Holidays Revision Update
• 2011-10-15: Portugal Mid-Week Public Holiday Update
• 2011-07-03: Portugal Considering Public Holidays Revision