Source: Singapore Hindu Endowments Board (HEB)
The Singapore Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) has announced that the date of the upcoming Deepavali public holiday had once again been moved from its previously-announced date of Sunday, November 3, 2013, to Saturday, November 2, 2013.
The aforementioned announcement (The Deepavali date for 2013 has now been confirmed. The Hindu Advisory Board (HAB) has advised that Deepavali will fall on November 2, 2013 (Saturday) instead of November 3, 2013 (Sunday). Since Deepavali is no longer on November 3, 2013 (Sunday), November 4, 2013 (Monday) will not be a public holiday. Instead, November 2, 2013 (Saturday) will be gazetted as a public holiday.) follows last year's (09-Apr-2012) announcement by the Singapore's Ministry of Manpower announcement of the official dates for Singapore's 2013 public holidays.
At that time, as we had done on a previous occasion, when Deepavali was announced with a date in error of a full month (10-Feb-2009 and 25-Feb-2008), we immediately contacted MOM (Singapore's Ministry of Manpower) and the HEB (Singapore's Hindu Endowment Board) to alert them to the error, in particular as that error meant that a 3-day weekend was being incorrectly announced, thus impacting people's travel plans when the date is corrected almost a year later, and the 3-day weekend disappears.
The date of the Deepavali public holiday in Singapore is always problematic, and there have often been changes to the announced date for the Deepavali public holiday (10-Feb-2009, 27-Mar-2008, 11-Apr-2003, and 04-Mar-2002). After the 2009 fiasco, the government of Singapore consulted with us in February 2009 to obtain a forecast of the 2010 Deepavali public holiday date which they announced later that year (08-Jun-2009), and again consulted with us in January 2010 to obtain a forecast of the 2011 Deepavali public holiday date which they announced later that year (21-Apr-2010).
However, since 2011, a change of management at the HEB has meant that our offers to assist in the calculation of the date of the Deepavali public holiday have been met with disdain.
This issue is likely to occur again for 2014 public holidays in Singapore, as we expect the HEB initial announcement of the date of the 2014 Deepavali public holiday in Singapore to also be off by one day.
• Singapore bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2013)
Singapore 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Singapore 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Singapore 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Singapore 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Singapore 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2019-04-08: Singapore 2020 Public Holidays Released
• 2018-09-16: Singapore 2019 Islamic Calendar Released
• 2018-04-05: Singapore 2019 Public Holidays Released
• 2017-04-05: Singapore 2018 Public Holidays Released
• 2017-04-01: Singapore 2018 Islamic Calendar Released
• 2016-07-23: Singapore 2017 Islamic Calendar Released
• 2016-04-05: Singapore 2017 Public Holidays Released
• 2015-05-22: Singapore 2016 Public Holidays Updated
• 2015-05-12: Singapore 2016 Public Holidays Released
• 2015-05-11: Singapore 2015 Public Holidays Confirmed
• 2015-03-22: Singapore 2016 Islamic Calendar Released
• 2014-08-17: Singapore 2015 Islamic Calendar Released
• 2014-04-08: Singapore 2015 Public Holidays Released
• 2014-04-07: Singapore 2014 Public Holidays Amended
• 2013-12-07: Malaysian 2014 Deepavali Public Holiday Moved
• 2013-07-13: Malaysian 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-04-10: Singapore 2014 Public Holidays Released
• 2012-04-09: Singapore 2013 Public Holidays Released
• 2010-04-21: Singapore 2011 Public Holidays Released
• 2009-06-08: Singapore 2010 Public Holidays Released
• 2009-02-10: Singapore 2009 Deepavali Public Holiday Date Change
• 2008-03-27: Singapore 2008 Deepavali Public Holiday Date Change
• 2008-02-25: Singapore 2009 Public Holidays Released
• 2003-04-11: Singapore 2003 Deepavali Public Holiday Date Change
• 2002-03-04: Singapore 2002 Deepavali Public Holiday Date Change