Source: Turkmenistan Government Information Agency (Ashgabad)
Turkmenistan's President, Gurbanguly Berdimuhammadov, has once again signed a decree ("On the postponement of day off for the celebration of the New Year") declaring Tuesday, December 31, 2013, as a one-off non-working public holiday "in order to create favorable conditions for the solemn celebration of the New Year and for a good recreation of the population".
As per the aforementioned announcement, the decree applies to both the private and public sectors ("all agencies, companies and organizations, regardless of ownership form, are prescribed to enforce this order").
Paragraph 3 of Article 81 of the Labour Code of Turkmenistan gives the President the discretionary powers to do so on a case-by-case basis, something that President Berdimuhammadov has done more and more frequently over the years (25-Oct-2013, 22-Dec-2012, 11-Feb-2012, 30-Dec-2011, 10-Dec-2010, 19-Mar-2010 and 10-Nov-2009).
Technically, as was the case last year (22-Dec-2012), the decree moves this year's December 31 working day to the previous Sunday, December 29, which will thus be a regular working day in Turkmenistan.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Turkmenistan bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (December 2013)
Turkmenistan 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Turkmenistan 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Turkmenistan 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Turkmenistan 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Turkmenistan 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-12-23: Turkmenistan 2017 Year-End Bank Holidays Ruled-Out
• 2017-10-10: Turkmenistan Public Holidays Overhaul
• 2014-05-15: Turkmenistan Public Holiday May 19
• 2013-10-25: Turkmenistan Extra Public Holiday October 29
• 2012-12-22: Turkmenistan Public Holiday December 31
• 2012-02-11: Turkmenistan Public Holiday February 20
• 2011-12-30: Turkmenistan January 2 Public Holiday
• 2010-12-10: Turkmenistan Declares December 13 Public Holiday
• 2010-03-19: Turkmenistan Extends Upcoming Novruz Public Holidays
• 2009-11-10: Turkmenistan 2009 Kurban Bayram Public Holidays Extended