Source: Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs (Colombo)
The Sri Lankan Minister of Public Administration and Home Affairs has announced that the Sri Lankan Government had decided to declare April 15, 2014, once again as a one-off additional public holiday throughout Sri Lanka.
This year the reason for declaring April 15 as a one-off additional public holiday throughout Sri Lanka is that "Sinhala and Tamil New year falls on April 13 and 14 which is a Sunday and Monday respectively".
Last year (29-Mar-2013, 11-Jun-2012 and 16-Oct-2012) the Sri Lankan Government declared Monday, April 15, 2013, as a one-off public holiday throughout Sri Lanka because the 2 annual public holidays for the Sinhala and Tamil New Year both fell on a weekend in 2013.
In Sri Lanka, generally, public holidays which fall on the weekend do not give rise to a compensatory public holiday on the following Monday, though it is generally the case for bank holidays, however when 2-day public holidays both fall on a weekend, an extra ad hoc public holiday has been declared in the past (01-May-2012).
• Sri Lanka bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2014)
Sri Lanka 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Sri Lanka 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Sri Lanka 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Sri Lanka 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Sri Lanka 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2019-04-03: Sri Lankan Day In Lieu Public Holiday April 15
• 2016-04-11: Sri Lankan Public Holidays April 13-17
• 2013-03-29: Sri Lanka Mulls April 15 Public Holiday
• 2012-10-16: Sri Lankan 2013 Bank Holidays Announced
• 2012-06-11: Sri Lankan 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-05-01: Sri Lankan Public Holiday May 7