Source: Department of Justice and Attorney-General (State of Queensland)
The Palaszczuk Government of Australia's state of Queensland is moving to make Easter Sunday a new annual non-working public holiday in Australia's state of Queensland, beginning in 2017.
Easter Sunday, observed throughout Australia as a regular Sunday, just 10 years ago, has steadily been declared as a non-working public holiday in various Australian states over the past few years.
First out of the gate (13-Oct-2010), was New South Wales (NSW), whose Premier, Kristina Keneally, announced that NSW would become the first jurisdiction in Australia to recognize Easter Sunday as a public holiday, effective in 2011.
Then, last year, Australia's State of Victoria (17-Aug-2015) and the ACT, Australia's Capital Territory (22-Aug-2015), both declared Easter Sunday as a new annual non-working public holiday in their respective states/territories.
The aforementioned announcement has provoked sharp criticisms, as Australia's state of Queensland has had a recent history of constantly tinkering with its public holidays. Five years ago (03-Dec-2011 and 05-Nov-2011), it amended the state public holidays law so that, beginning in 2012, the Queen's Birthday non-working public holiday would be moved from the 2nd Monday in June to the 1st Monday in October, while on the same occasion, a one-off public holiday for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee would be observed in June 2012 in Queensland. Then, less than a year later (30-Oct-2012), after many months of discussion (11-Sep-2012, 20-Aug-2012, and 12-Jun-2012), it announced amendments to the Holidays Act 1983 whereby, from 2013 onward, the dates of the Birthday of the Sovereign (Queen's Birthday) public holiday and of the Labour Day public holiday would be changed. Finally (?), last year (14-Oct-2015, 23-Jun-2015, 22-May-2015, 17-Mar-2015, 13-Mar-2015 and 15-Feb-2015), it included further reversals and amendments to the annual list of non-working public holidays in Australia's State of Queensland in the "Holidays and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2015".
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2016)
Australia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-12-16: Australian 2019 Queensland Public Holidays Announced
• 2017-01-01: Australian 2018 Queensland Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-12-18: Australian 2017 Queensland Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-12-02: Australia Votes Queensland Easter Sunday Public Holiday
• 2015-10-14: Australian Queensland Public Holidays Amendment Gazetted
• 2015-08-22: Australia 2016 ACT Public Holidays Amended
• 2015-08-17: Australian Victoria Confirms New Public Holidays
• 2015-06-23: Australian 2016 Queensland Public Holidays Update
• 2015-05-22: Australian 2016 Queensland Public Holidays Amended Again
• 2015-03-17: Australian 2016 Public Holidays Amended in Queensland
• 2015-03-13: Australian Queensland Labour Day Public Holiday Change Re-Confirmed
• 2015-02-15: Australian Queensland Labour Day Public Holiday Update
• 2012-10-30: Australian Queensland Public Holidays Amended
• 2012-09-11: Australian Queensland 2013 Public Holidays Change Confirmed
• 2012-08-20: Australian Queensland Public Holidays Amended Again
• 2012-06-12: Australian Queensland Public Holidays Update
• 2011-12-03: Australian Queensland Public Holidays Revision Gazetted
• 2011-11-05: Australian 2012 Queensland Public Holidays Changes
• 2010-10-13: Australia Declares Easter Regional Public Holiday