Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC)
The Shadow Minister for Human Services of the Labor Party of Australia's State of New South Wales, Linda Burney, has announced that, in the event of a victory by the Labor Party in the 2019 NSW state elections, the government of New South Wales would declare a new non-working public holiday to celebrate the culture, people and heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
The idea of declaring a new state public holiday to honour first or aboriginal people is making its way across Australia, where, last year (28-Aug-2016), the Government of the ACT (Australia's Capital Territory), confirmed that there would be a new annual Reconciliation Day non-working public holiday in Australia's ACT (Australia's Capital Territory), beginning in 2018, following public consultations that same year (08-Jun-2016), though more recently (27-Jan-2017), the Australian State of Tasmania announced that it had no intention of including a new non-working public holiday Tasmania in honour of the state’s First People as part of its government’s reconciliation agenda.
Elsewhere, the Community Services Minister of Canada's Yukon Territory, John Streicker, has announced that the territorial government had made good on its promise to add a new annual non-working public holiday, National Aboriginal Day on November 21, to "recognize the contributions of Yukon's indigenous peoples" (09-May-2017), and after years of prodding, the President of Trinidad and Tobago, Anthony Carmona, recently made the appointment of a one-off national non-working public holiday, on Friday, October 13, 2017, in honour of the First Peoples of Trinidad, under section 4(1) of the Public Holidays and Festivals Act, "in recognition of their contribution to the islands" (01-Jul-2017).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2017)
Australia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-10-30: Canada Mulls Further Extension To June 21 Public Holiday
• 2017-09-13: Australia ACT Public Holidays Amended
• 2017-08-17: Australia Mulls Further 2018 ACT Public Holidays Amendments
• 2017-07-01: Trinidad and Tobago Public Holiday October 13 Official
• 2017-05-09: Canada Votes June 21 Public Holiday Extension
• 2017-01-27: Australia Rules-Out Tasmania Aboriginal Public Holiday
• 2016-08-28: Australian ACT Reconciliation Day Public Holiday In 2018
• 2016-06-08: Australian ACT Mulls Public Holidays Changes