Source: Presidencia de la República del Paraguay (Asunción)
Paraguay's Senate has approved a bill which would repeal the Ley No.1723/2001, "Que autoriza al Poder Ejecutivo a trasladar los feriados nacionales al día lunes" which gives Paraguay's President the power to move some of Paraguay's annual non-working public holidays to a nearby Monday.
The Ley No.1723/2001 (29-Jun-2001) gives Paraguay's President the power to move some of Paraguay's annual non-working public holidays to a nearby Monday, with the provisos that any such change needs to be announced 6 months before the beginning of the calendar year of the moved public holiday, and that the law not apply to the following public holidays: January 1st, May 15, December 8, and December 25 (as well as the obvious Maundy Thursday and Good Friday public holidays).
However, for the first 10 years after its passage, and despite regular calls for the executive to avail itself of its prerogative (23-Sep-2010 and 26-Jul-2008), the provisions of law 1723/01 were rarely used before 2012 (24-Jul-2012). But, since then, there have been public holidays moved to a nearby Monday, every year (03-Jan-2013, 10-Jan-2014, 18-Dec-2014, 10-Dec-2015), without any noticeable resistance.
Until this year (22-Nov-2016), when the inclusion of August 15 in the list of the 2017 public holidays of Paraguay raised traditionalists' hackles forcing President Horacio Cartes to issue Decree No. 6382, amending Article 1 of the earlier Decree No. 6292 of November 17, 2016, ("por el que se modifica el artículo 1° del Decreto N° 6292 del 17 de noviembre de 2016"), so that August 15, 2017, would be a non-working public holiday in Paraguay in 2017, after all (28-Nov-2016).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Paraguay bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (March 2017)
Paraguay 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Paraguay 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Paraguay 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Paraguay 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Paraguay 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-09-12: Paraguay October 2 Public Holiday
• 2017-08-02: Paraguay August 15 Public Holiday Re-Confirmed
• 2017-07-05: Paraguay August 15 Public Holiday Maintained
• 2016-11-28: Paraguay 2017 Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-11-22: Paraguay 2017 Public Holidays Released
• 2015-12-10: Paraguay 2016 Public Holidays Released
• 2014-12-18: Paraguay 2015 Public Holidays Finalized
• 2014-01-10: Paraguay 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-01-03: Paraguay 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-07-24: Paraguay Mid-Week Public Holidays Update
• 2010-09-23: Paraguay Legislature Wants To Move Mid-Week Public Holidays
• 2008-07-26: Paraguay Pressured To Apply 2001 Law On Mid-Week Public Holidays
• 2001-06-29: Paraguay Law To Move Mid-Week Public Holidays