Source: Ministerio del Poder Popular para la Comunicación e Información (Caracas)
Venezuela's President, Hugo Chávez, has announced that the entire upcoming Holy Week, March 29 to April 2, had been declared as non-working public holidays in Venezuela, to lighten the load on Venezuela's power grid.
As Maundy Thursday and Good Friday are already annual public holidays in Venezuela, the decree published in the Gaceta Oficial Nº 39.393, actually only declares March 29 to 31, 2010, as non-working public holidays ("declara días no laborables y por tanto se les otorga el carácter de feriado a los días 29, 30, 31 marzo de 2010").
As such the period of non-working days will run from Saturday, March 27, to Sunday, April 4, 2010, inclusively. Other Latin American countries that have declared next week a weeklong public holiday are Costa Rica (11-Mar-2010), Honduras (10-Mar-2010) and Nicaragua (17-Mar-2010).
The essential services that will still be functioning during the period covered by this decree are those specified in Article 213 of the Ley Orgánica del Trabajo and Articles 92, 93 and 94 of the Reglamento de la Ley Orgánica del Trabajo.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Venezuela bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (March 2010)
Venezuela 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Venezuela 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Venezuela 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Venezuela 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Venezuela 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-04-14: Venezuela Public Holidays April 15-19
• 2016-04-07: Venezuela Extends April-May 2016 Public Holidays
• 2016-03-19: Venezuela Easter 2016 Bank Holidays Not Expanded
• 2016-03-16: Venezuela Easter 2016 Public Holidays Expanded
• 2016-03-13: Venezuela Declares Weeklong Easter 2016 Public Holidays
• 2010-03-17: Nicaragua Announces Holy Week Public Sector Holidays
• 2010-03-11: Costa Rica Declares Holy Week Public Sector Holidays
• 2010-03-10: Honduras Declares Holy Week Public Sector Holidays