Source: Governo de Portugal (Lisboa)
The Portuguese Government has finally announced the list of annual public holidays that it plans to cancel as part of the current austerity plan.
As per the aforementioned announcement, the 4 canceled Portuguese public holidays would be: Corpo de Deus (Corpus Cristi), Assunção de Nossa Senhora (August 15), Implantação da República (October 5), and Restauração da independência (December 1st).
The opposition Socialist Party has sharply criticized the proposed cancellation of the October 5 public holiday.
Recall that 2 secular and 2 religious non-working public holidays would be removed from the official list of Portuguese non-working public holidays, as part of the current public holidays revision (15-Oct-2011), itself a variant of a plan floated last summer (03-Jul-2011).
Last month (14-Nov-2011), a spokesperson for the Portuguese Episcopal Conference had announced that, as part of the upcoming public holidays revision, the Portuguese Catholic Church was considering the cancellation of the, August 15, Assumption Day, religious non-working public holiday.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Portugal bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (December 2011)
Portugal 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Portugal 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Portugal 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Portugal 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Portugal 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-12-15: Portugal Public Holiday December 26
• 2016-03-19: Portugal Public Holidays Officially Restored
• 2016-01-08: Portugal Restores 4 Public Holidays
• 2016-01-03: Portugal Public Holidays Restoration Update
• 2015-12-19: Portugal Public Holidays Restoration Vote January 8
• 2015-11-11: Portugal Could Restore 4 Public Holidays Before 2018
• 2015-10-12: Portugal December 1 Public Holiday Petition
• 2013-12-04: Portugal Bill To Restore Public Holidays
• 2013-09-27: Portugal Public Holidays Changes Ruled Constitutional
• 2012-08-01: Portugal Public Holidays Changes Take Effect
• 2012-05-09: Portugal Public Holidays Reduction Finalized
• 2012-03-12: Portugal Religious Public Holidays Update
• 2012-02-26: Portugal Carnival Public Holiday 2013
• 2012-01-18: Portugal Public Holidays Cancellation Update
• 2012-01-12: Spain 2012 National Public Holidays Update
• 2011-12-19: Portugal Considering Regional Public Holiday
• 2011-11-14: Portugal Public Holidays Revision Update
• 2011-10-15: Portugal Mid-Week Public Holiday Update
• 2011-07-03: Portugal Considering Public Holidays Revision