Source: Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina News (Sarajevo)
The government of the Republika Srpska (RS) of Bosnia and Herzegovina, in Banja Luka, has proclaimed Monday, January 9, 2017, as a non-working public holiday in the Republika Srpska as a secular event without religious connotations, to heed the ruling of the Bosnia and Herzegovina Constitutional Court ruling about the law in its original form.
Almost 7 years ago (18-Jul-2009), Bosnia's Council of Ministers had approved a draft law on public holidays. But, this draft was never converted into law, and thus, all announcements of the annual non-working public holidays in Bosnia and Herzegovina since then (02-Jan-2017, 01-Jan-2016, 04-Jan-2015, 13-Nov-2013 and 10-Nov-2012), were a patchwork of independently announced regional public holidays for the Bosnian Federation (FBiH) and the Republic of Srpska (RS).
The January 9, "Day of Republika Srpska", regional public holiday in Bosnia's Serb-dominated entity Republika Srpska, marking the anniversary of the establishment of Republika Srpska in 1992, was ruled unconstitutional in November 2015 by the Bosnian Constitutional Court, but the Ministry of Public Administration and Local Self-Government of the Republika Srpska (RS) of Bosnia and Herzegovina swiftly announced (06-Jan-2016) that the Government of RS had nonetheless declared January 9, 2016, as a non-working public holiday in the RS part of Bosnia and Herzegovina, and went on to to hold a referendum on September 25, 2016, on the January 9 regional annual holiday (16-Jul-2016).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Bosnia and Herzegovina bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2017)
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-01-02: Bosnian 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-07-16: Bosnian January 9 Public Holiday Referendum
• 2016-01-06: Bosnian Public Holiday January 9
• 2016-01-01: Bosnian 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-01-04: Bosnian 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-11-13: Bosnian 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-11-10: Bosnian 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-07-18: Bosnia Finally Approves Draft Law On Public Holidays