Source: The Information Unit (Prime Minister's Office)
The Tonga Privy Council has approved 2 new public holidays and canceled 2 existing public holidays. From 2007, onwards, July 12th will be observed as the Birthday of the Heir to the Crown of Tonga, and August 1st will be the Official Birthday of the reigning Sovereign of Tonga.
In 2008, August 1st will coincide with the Coronation Day of the reigning Sovereign of Tonga which was postponed for 12 months, following the riots of November 2006 (30-Nov-2006).
The public holidays previously held on May 4th and July 4th of each year will no longer be public holidays, as was originally announced last month (14-Nov-2006).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Tonga bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (December 2006)
Tonga 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Tonga 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Tonga 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Tonga 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Tonga 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2010-04-08: Tonga Votes Public Holidays Act Amendments
• 2009-07-23: Tonga Declares August 3rd Public Holiday
• 2007-07-11: Tonga Prepares For New Public Holiday
• 2006-11-30: Tonga Postpones Coronation Public Holiday
• 2006-11-14: Tonga Royal Public Holidays Updates