Source: Bernama (Penang)
Malaysia's Penang State Chief Minister, Lim Guan Eng, said the Penang state government would definitely make September 16 a public holiday, but probably only beginning in 2009, as Penang just had a one-off public holiday on August 26, 2008.
Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng was reacting to the proposal made by Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) advisor Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, that the 5 Malaysian states (Kedah, Penang, Perak, Selangor and Kelantan) controlled by the Pakatan Rakyat (PR) should declare September 16 as an annual public holiday henceforth.
September 16 is the date when the states of the island of Borneo (Sabah and Sarawak) joined the other peninsular states whose independence from Britain is celebrated on August 31.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Malaysia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2008)
Malaysia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malaysia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malaysia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2009-10-19: Malaysia To Finally Declare Malaysia Day Public Holiday
• 2009-07-07: Malaysia Confirms July 7 Penang State Public Holiday
• 2009-06-08: Malaysia Considering July 7 Penang Public Holiday
• 2008-11-26: Malaysia New November 25 Public Holiday Promised If PR Is Elected
• 2008-10-03: Malaysia's Sabah State Announces Date Of Postponed Malaysia Day Public Holiday