Source: TSA (Algiers)
Another large Algerian company, Afia (subsidiary of the Saudi group Savola), has implemented, effective May 3, 2009, the semi-universal Friday-Saturday weekend, instead of the official Algerian Thursday-Friday weekend.
The Afia move follows that of other major Algerian employers: Siemens Algérie (17-Feb-2009), Air Liquide (October 2008), NCA (Nouvelle Conserverie Algérienne, September 2008), and Arcelor-Mittal Annaba (27-Jun-2007).
The change to a Friday-Saturday weekend is supported by both Algeria's business leaders association (the Forum des chefs d'entreprises, FCE) and Algeria's main trade union, the UGTA (11-Jan-2005).
The Algerian government, who had changed to a Thursday-Friday weekend in 1976, and briefly considered a move back to the semi-universal weekend in 1990, has not yet responded to renewed calls by the FCE and UGTA.
• Algeria bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (May 2009)
Algeria 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Algeria 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Algeria 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Algeria 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Algeria 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2009-07-24: Algeria To Change Weekends To Fridays and Saturdays
• 2009-02-17: Algeria's Siemens Moves To Semi-Universal Weekends
• 2007-06-27: Algeria: Renewed Week-End Definition Debate
• 2005-01-11: Algeria To Consider Weekend Amendment