Source: Xinhua (Kathmandu)
The dates of Wednesday and Thursday, April 28-29, 2010, have been confirmed for the 16th South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Summit to be held in the Bhutanese capital, Thimphu.
As we surmised in May, when the first tentative announcement was made (21-May-2009), at least one of these dates is likely to be declared as public holiday. This was the case last year in Sri Lanka (16-Jul-2008) and Bhutan has often done so in the past to coincide with major events (04-Nov-2008).
Bhutan will be hosting the summit for the first time since SAARC was established in 1985, and Bhutan's Prime Minister, Lyonchhoen Jigmi Y Thinley, is quoted as saying that "It will greatly enhance Bhutan's international image as a sovereign, independent and responsible country".
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Bhutan bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2009)
Bhutan 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Bhutan 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Bhutan 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Bhutan 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Bhutan 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2010-03-30: Bhutan SAARC Public Holidays Update
• 2010-01-13: Bhutanese 2010 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-05-21: Bhutan To Host 2010 SAARC Summit
• 2008-11-04: Bhutan Officially Confirms Week-Long Coronation Public Holidays
• 2008-07-16: Sri Lanka SAARC Summit 3-Day Public Holiday