Source: Kuensel (Thimphu)
Earlier today, Bhutan's home minister, Lyonpo Minjur Dorji, announced that the holiday of Thrue bab (blessed rainy day) will be restored as a public holiday.
This decision follows a debate in Bhutan's newly-elected assembly which led its speaker to direct the minister to include either Thrue bab or Nyen pa guzom (the meeting of nine evils) as a national public holiday.
Both holidays had been dropped from Bhutan's official list of public holidays in 2007 (03-Jan-2007), and despite its non-official status, it is reported that "many took leave from offices and schools to celebrate the day" in 2007 and 2008.
The Blessed Rainy Day public holiday, if its restoration were to be effective in 2009, would occur on September 22.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Bhutan bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2009)
Bhutan 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Bhutan 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Bhutan 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Bhutan 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Bhutan 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2009-09-16: Bhutan Restores Thrue Bab Public Holiday
• 2009-07-29: Bhutan Minister Calls For Nyenpa Guzon Public Holiday
• 2009-07-20: Bhutan Changes Coronation Anniversary Public Holiday Date
• 2007-01-03: Bhutan Revises Public Holidays List