Source: Jakarta Globe (Jakarta)
Indonesia's minister of manpower and transmigration, Erman Suparno, has announced that the idea of making May 1st (International Labour Day) an official national public holiday would soon be discussed by the National Tripartite Agency, a new organization comprising business, labor and government representatives.
The agency is to hold an executive and plenary meeting to discuss this issue, and, if approved, the next step would be to take it to the government and the House of Representatives, since it will become a political decision.
Note that Indonesia has an indigenous Workers' Day Holiday, observed annually on February 20th. However, that date is not an official public holiday.
As for May 1st, staunchly anti communist President Suharto, who ruled the country for more than three decades, dropped May Day from the list of official public holidays after ascending to power in 1967.
• Indonesia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2009)
Indonesia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Indonesia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Indonesia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-05-31: Indonesia Adds June 1st Public Holiday
• 2016-05-26: Indonesia Mulls June 1st Public Holiday
• 2013-08-14: Indonesian May 1st Public Holiday Confirmed
• 2013-05-01: Indonesian May 1st Public Holiday Announced
• 2012-05-26: Indonesian May 1st Public Holiday Gains Support
• 2012-04-30: Indonesia Considers May 1st Public Holiday
• 2009-06-04: Indonesian Pro-Mega Candidates Pledge To Restore May Day Public Holiday