Source: The Kuwait Times (Kuwait City)
Kuwait's Labor and Health Committee has forwarded the draft law on the revisions to the labour code, to the Parliament after reducing the number of private sector holidays in the bill from 13 to 11.
When the bill initially was passed in commission in February (03-Feb-2009) and underwent its first reading (21-Aug-2009). it contained as one of its salient features, the alignment of the private sector public holidays, and their duration, on the public sector holidays schedule.
As recently as last week (12-Nov-2009), the Labor and Health Committee had not indicated any intention of reducing the proposed number of private sector holidays to a number less than that of the public sector holidays.
The new bill, in its present form, would still be an improvement for private sector workers in Kuwait, who presently only get 8 public holidays a year, while the public sector is entitled to three days of public holidays for the Eid Al-Fitr, and four days for the Eid Al-Adha, as well as a public holiday for Liberation Day, not to mention one-off public holidays (19-Nov-2009) that are often reserved for the public sector (10-Sep-2009 and 10-Feb-2009).
• Kuwait bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (November 2009)
Kuwait 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Kuwait 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Kuwait 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Kuwait 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Kuwait 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2009-12-25: Kuwait Approves New Labour Law
• 2009-11-19: Kuwait Adds November 26 Public Holiday
• 2009-11-12: Kuwait Labor Law Amendments Update
• 2009-09-10: Kuwait Considering 8-Day Eid Public Holidays
• 2009-08-21: Kuwait Public Holidays Increase Moves Ahead
• 2009-02-10: Kuwait Confirms National Day Public Sector Holidays
• 2009-02-03: Kuwait Revises Private Sector Labor Law