Source: Libération (Mamoudzou)
The president of the French overseas territory of Mayotte, Ahmed Attoumani Douchina, has announced that Monday, March 30, 2009, would be a one-off public holiday to celebrate the expected victory of the "yes" vote in Sunday's referendum as to whether the territory should become the 101st department of France.
The yes vote is expected to garner over 80% of the vote, but the aftermath of the referendum could be less than rosy, as Mayotte is claimed by the Comoros (with support from the African Union).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Mayotte bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (March 2009)
Mayotte 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Mayotte 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Mayotte 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Mayotte 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Mayotte 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-09-03: Mayotte 2016 Ide-El-Kębir Public Holiday
• 2015-05-13: Mayotte Extra Public Holiday May 15
• 2011-03-29: Mayotte Declares March 31 Public Holiday
• 2010-09-08: Mayotte Confirms End of Ramadan School Holiday
• 2010-09-08: Comoros Announce End of Ramadan Date