Source: House of Representatives of the Philippines (Manila)
In an press release, earlier today, the House of Representatives of the Philippines has announced the introduction of House Bill 6653, which declares the first Monday of August as "Cory and Ninoy Day" an annual national non-working public holiday.
The Aquino couple is already featured prominently in the Philippines calendar of official non-working public holidays.
In 2004, Republic Act 9256, declared August 21 of every year as Ninoy Aquino Day, to be observed as a special non-working public holiday (25-Feb-2004, 26-Jan-2004, and 19-Nov-2003).
Additionally, February 23, the annual anniversary of the 1986 people power revolution (EDSA 1) is sometimes declared a non-working public holiday (18-Feb-2008, 22-Feb-2006, and 12-Feb-2002), but not systematically (18-Feb-2009).
Finally, earlier this month, Wednesday, August 5, 2009, the day of the funeral of the late former President Corazon Aquino, was declared a one-off special non-working public holiday (02-Aug-2009).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Philippines bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2009)
Philippines 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Philippines 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Philippines 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2009-08-02: Philippines Declares August 5 Public Holiday
• 2009-02-18: Philippines Confirms No February 25 Public Holiday
• 2008-02-18: Philippines Declares February 25 Public Holiday
• 2006-02-22: Philippines Public Holiday On February 25
• 2004-02-25: Philippines Final Approval For New Ninoy Aquino Public Holiday
• 2004-01-26: Philippines Assembly Approves February 21 Public Holiday
• 2003-11-19: Philippines Senate Approves February 21 Public Holiday
• 2002-02-12: Philippines Makes February 25 A Public Holiday