Source: Le Figaro (Paris)
The French government is reportedly considering the conversion of another public holiday into a working public holiday to finance long-term dependency of the elderly population.
Following the 2003 summer heat wave, in 2004, the French government converted the Whitmonday public holiday into a working public holiday, to bring in more tax revenues to pay for better healthcare for the elderly and disabled (02-Feb-2004).
However, this was a major political miscalculation, as French opinion turned "en masse" against this gesture of solidarity, and the Whitmonday public holiday was finally restored in 2007 (29-Jan-2008).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• France bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2011)
France 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
France 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
France 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
France 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
France 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2014-09-15: France Business Wants to Ax 2 Public Holidays
• 2012-01-12: France Public Holidays Electioneering
• 2008-01-29: France Restores Whit Monday Public Holiday
• 2004-02-02: France Whitmonday Public Holiday Officially Cancelled