Source: The Times of Malta (Valletta)
Malta's President, George Abela, has made another call to have the number of national day holidays in Malta reduced from 5 to 1 or 2.
Two years ago (05-May-2009), then Malta Prime Minister, Lawrence Gonzi, had also suggested that the September 21 Independence Day public holiday should be declared the sole National Day holiday of Malta, as was suggested initially the summer before (09-Jul-2008).
Malta is unique in that it has not one, but five, National Day public holidays (05-Jan-2011).
September 21 commemorates the date when the Maltese State was born, but many also feel that Freedom Day (March 31) should be the National Day, as it corresponds to the date when Malta ceased to be a British military base.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Malta bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (December 2011)
Malta 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malta 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malta 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Malta 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Malta 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2013-06-17: Malta National Day Holidays Reduction Update
• 2011-01-05: Malta 2012 Public Holidays Announced
• 2009-05-05: Malta National Day Public Holiday Selection Update
• 2008-07-09: Malta's Discussing Reduction In Number Of Public Holidays